Monday 6 September 2010

Farewell to the Flock




Yesterday I went up to Yorkshire Sculpture Park to dismantle my window display. Apart from taking only a fraction of the time it took to hang the birds up, I was sorry to bring them all back to earth! I never did post any photos of the birds here, as I didn't take any in the beginning and am still waiting for stills from the filming. So here are a few I took yesterday. Unfortunately due to the violet, lit-up sign opposite the window, it was difficult to take a very good picture, but I hope these will give you an inkling of what the flock looked like in full flight!

I also sold original, 3D illustrations, brooches, cards and prints in an applied arts showcase in the shop. Those which weren't sold at YSP will soon be for sale in my Etsy shop, so keep your eyes peeled for bears, giraffes and racing wildebeest!
Finally, and most exciting of all, YSP have been selling a few advance copies of Magpie's Treasure. I've heard they've sold really well so far and was thrilled to meet someone who was just about to buy a copy for her son yesterday, so my first ever signed book went to a little boy called Busby! It was quite nerve wracking as I had the absurd feeling that I ought not to spoil the beautiful, pristine title page with my scrawl... I suppose I'll have to get over that!

11 comments:

Jamie Littler said...

Literally, totally awesome.

none said...

that window display is amazing

Kickcan & Conkers said...

I was at the YSP a couple of weeks ago and saw your beautiful window display and 3D work. I bought a couple of cards and intend to write about you on my blog some time. Loved the giraffe! I'll be sending you an email :)

Lins Artyblobs said...

I would have liked to have seen your window display - looks like it was great.

renilde said...

Looks really wonderfull,enjoy!

Kate Slater said...

Thanks everyone! I might try and hang them up again somewhere else if I can find the right spot :)

Unknown said...

That display is amazing, looks incredible against the black!

Chantal said...

Oh wow! Just found you via kickcan and conkers blog - your work is stunning.. i love it! Have hearted your etsy shop for a future purchase :)

Kate Slater said...

Christiane - Thanks and yes, I hardly ever use black in my work but perhaps I'll consider it more now as I was quite pleased with how striking they look!

Thank you Chantal! I will be adding more bird-related items to my shop over the next few days!

Natascha Rosenberg said...

The flock is amazing! Congratulations for such a great work!

MUS said...

so beautiful the birds together!